Friday, November 6, 2009

My Life on Facebook

Okay, I guess I need to write about Facebook. It’s a part of my life. I’m not addicted, but I’m really enjoying connecting with so many people. I’m closing in on 400 FB friends and I so enjoy chatting with them all. I’ve reconnected with people I’ve lost touch with after high school and college, I work through FB with my writing friends and my church friends, find out about blues events which I love, as well as things going on at Oregon State University. . . And the best part is that I’ve made new friends through FB. One of my FB friends called it “the new front porch” and I think that describes FB well. I can sit on my back porch and visit with anyone one around the world while they sit on their porch. We may not be able to share lemonade, but we can share ideas, pictures, jabs and encourgement just the same. And I love it!


I’ve read that if FB were a country, it would the 4th largest country in the world. I believe it. People need people. (crap, I’m channeling Barbara Streisand.) We need to invest in each other and have that investment back. People I would have never met are now good friends. I’m having conversations with people I’ve lost contact with for 30 years as if we just saw each other yesterday.. . .except now they are grandparents. Funny, they sound the same as the day we graduated.
Wonder if I do?


Anyway, there are many people in my life that think FB is a waste of time. I so disagree. I have FB friends from every generation, political and religious viewpoint, from so many walks of life and backgrounds, plus the groups!!! I’m part of a FB writing group not to mention that my church is on FB 100%. I would have to say that FB has been a blessing to me. I mean, really, how can one say no to new groups, new friends, and new connections with old friends? We may only chat and message through FB, but we have a connection and encourage each other. How can that be bad?



And, I know I’m preaching to the choir. If you are reading this then it is most likely through FB notes and not my blog. But I’m thinking we all need to spread the word. Connect, dammit! Connect with those lost friends, with those friends you don’t know exist yet. Just connect and invest, dammit.


Um, sorry for the swear words Pastor James. I’ll put extra in the collection plate this Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment