Monday, August 17, 2009

Simple question, not so simple answer

Why do I want to write? I get asked that question every so often. It isn't that easy to answer in a social situation without having the person start backing up and get very quiet. So I usually just say that it is fun. And it is fun for me so I'm not being dishonest. But it is so much more than that.

Sometimes I write to stop my analytical brain from crunching numbers. That crunching sound gets very annoying when I’m not at work and when it isn’t me eating some potato chips.

Most of the time I write because I want to break through the ice and see what is really going on down deep inside. Sometimes I amazed at what comes out when I do finally break through the ice. Other times I’m shocked that I was actually thinking/feeling/believing something I wasn’t aware of.

One thing I am sure of, it doesn’t matter why I write as much as it matters THAT I write. I will share some of these things with you in due time, but for now, I’m going to take some of that chipped ice and make a margarita. Crap, where did I stash that blender?

No comments:

Post a Comment